Sunday, March 13, 2011

Winter Vegetable Hash

Source: This is adapted from an allrecipes.com recipe, in my search for yet more yummy things to do with kale. I'd call this hearty peasant food that uses up a lot of food laying around or languishing in the freezer. It's even better with an egg on top.

Rating: Favorable

Notes: I didn't have any more fresh squash, so I bypassed it. I'm sure it's even better with it, although I'd use butternut before I'd use acorn. I also didn't have any fresh shiitake, so I used the rest of my button mushrooms and the rest of my dried mixed mushrooms from By the Pound.



INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound potatoes, diced
  • 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 small winter squash, acorn or other
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch pepper
  • 1 cup kale, chopped
  • 4 sprigs sage

METHOD:
  1. Place oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and mix in potatoes, mushrooms, pepper, squash, shallot, and kale. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and let saute and steam, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
  2. Add sage to skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes.
  3. Optional: fry an egg to place on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment