Source: My favorite not-particularly-easy recipe to make. Every time I make it I change something or other, so it's quite malleable. Just make sure to use lots of mashed potatoes for the top! Comfort food at its best.
Rating: Very Favorable
Notes: This time I put a spinach layer in between the mushroom gravy and the potatoes. I'd forgotten to freeze tofu in advance, so I used soy crumbles instead. And I didn't add the coriander.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cake tofu
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 large potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups hot potato water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 c. water
- Freeze, thaw and shred tofu (make sure to freeze a day ahead of time). Saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil with thyme, coriander, and some pepper. Add walnuts and shredded tofu. When heated through, add lemon and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Peel, cube and boil potatoes and mash with butter and milk. Save the potato water!
- Saute mushrooms, 3 tablespoons soy sauce and some pepper in 1 tablespoon oil. Add hot potato water and bring to boil. Stir in cornstarch water. Stir until thick.
- Oil a casserole dish and put the tofu mixture in the bottom, then the mushroom gravy, and then the potatoes. Dot the top with butter and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.